Wednesday, April 05, 2006

My first interview

I received a call from a journalist of the Guardian yesterday. She obtained my contact detail through the French Club of the London Business School. She was preparing a story on young French people moving to the UK to find a job. I guess it's a pretty hot subject right now with all the demonstrations in France about the new job law for young people.

Anyway, it lasted five minutes and she basically wanted to know why I decided to come to the UK (easy: the London Business School is one of the best European MBA and I wanted a truly international experience).

Her second question was if in my experience, it was easier to find a job in the UK than in France. That's not a simple one to answer when you think of it. As a MBA student, I was able to meet more than 30 companies on campus so I was not really doing a typical job search and I cannot compare to France where I haven't been in that position. Further more, I haven't sent a single resume in France so once again, I cannot compare to the UK. I think it's relatively easy to find a job in France right now when you are in your late twenties, with some experience and a good degree but the salary won't be as competitive as in the UK. However, in terms of quality of life, France is probably better than the UK.

Finally, she asked me why I've decided to stay in the UK after the MBA. I replied that job opportunities in the specific industry I was targeting (management consulting) were better in the UK than in France which is probably true but to be honest, I'm not completely sure. I also told here that I enjoyed London quite a lot but was not planning to stay here all my life. I've already lived in seven different countries on three continents so I'm not planning to stop now :)

The story should be published on Thursday's edition and I'll linked to it if that's the case.

1 Comments:

Blogger KV said...

Can I get an autograph? ;-)

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home