Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Skype CEO presentation

I went to see Niklas Zennström's speech yesterday at Goldman Sachs. Niklas is the CEO and co-founder of Skype, the P2P VOIP company. The guy is a real entrepreneur: a bit shy and not very confident in front of the audience. Yet, he has a proven record as an entrepreneur (he has co-founded KaZaA, the most downloaded software on the Internet) and Skype is definitely going to be a great success story.

With more than 100 million downloads and 35 millions users, the company is already a big player in the phone industry. It's truly global since the software is in use in almost every country. Then, there is SkypeOut, SkypeIn and VoiceMail, the services with which the company hopes to make money. SkypeOut, with 1.2 million users is already growing fast and the 2 others services are probably going to grow exponentially as well.

I've been a user of Skype for 2 years now and I'm using it to call friends in France or Africa. I've started using SkypeOut to make some calls to companies in France and so good is the quality that there is no way the other side can tell that I'm using a VOIP software. I'm not planning to use SkypeIn in the near future but if I move outside Europe, this might be a good solution to keep in touch with friends and relatives.

Next step: Skype on a mobile phone. Motorola has already agreed to ship Skype on a phone but this will work only when the phone will be under a Wi-Fi coverage. Do not expect Skype over 3G soon and further more, the incumbents (Vodafone, Orange and co) will likely respond to this threat by decreasing the quality of service for VOIP packets on their 3G data network (my guess).

Anyway, if you haven't been using the software yet, it's time to do so to experience a different way of calling people.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why not buying a skypeIn nbr in France and have ur friends and familly calling locally? Skype bundles a VM as well in the same time?

Btw any news on the question u mentioned on my blog?

@+

5:26 PM  
Blogger k said...

I've considered buying a SkypeIn but since there is no big time difference between France and the UK, I manage to talk to my friends and relatives quite easily via (regular) Skype.

I did not get the chance to ask my question to Niklas...

A+

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your blog.
Please visit
Advanced Business Marketing

And leave your comment.

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home