Tuesday, May 24, 2005

A little break

I'm leaving for Paris for a few days, even though we still have 3 weeks of class to go but a little break cannot be bad. I'm going to Paris to vote for the EU Constitution on Sunday and with polls so tight, every voice will count! I'm voting 'YES' in case you wonder because I believe the current institutions needs to be adapted to a larger Europe with 25 members and more to come. I'm also a firm European, having lived in more than 4 European countries so far and I believe the Constitution will make Europe stronger.

You hear so many things on the treaty: it will allow Turkey in, a flow of cheap workers from Central Eastern Europe to France, stealing the jobs and working for €1/hour... The problem is that the debate is too much polarized now so no side wants to hear the other argument. Am I in that case? Did I really consider a 'NO' vote at some point? Honestly I didn't but I've tried to read a lot from the 'NO' side to see if their arguments made sense and of course they did: the Consitution address so many issues and tries to accomodate so many parties that it was certain some articles, taken in isolation, would not make sense. Yet, when one looks at the big picture, I think it's a good document and France should vote for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home