Thursday, June 01, 2006

Final term

So we are now well engaged into the last and final term of the MBA. I'm taking two classes this term and although the Project Finance class is quite interesting, my other elective is an Accounting one and I'm wondering why I choose it.

I know I wanted to have a better understanding of Accounting issues before graduating but when I’m seated in class, listening to the teacher talking about IFRS something and the pooling vs the purchase accounting methods, I cannot help but think taking this class this was a bad idea. I’m not going to use much of this stuff for my job as a management consultant and therefore, I will forget most of it in a few months. Further more, no matter how many accounting electives I attend to, some people have CFAs and have been in the job for years so they will be in charge of the most delicate accounting issues during consulting projects. The value I can bring to the table is not in accounting; it’s more in… well… not accounting…

Talking about jobs, I’ve been recently contacted by a headhunter. Being a curious person, I went to meet with him and we discussed an opportunity in a global Private Equity fund based in London with investments to make in France. I don’t exactly meet their profile so I don’t think this will move further. In addition to this, I already signed with my future employer so I would have been in the delicate position of potentially reneging on my initial offer which is forbidden by the School. But still, it feels good to be chased.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff D said...

Karibu,

I took a Project Finance course this semester as well. I'm curious as to what cases you did?

We used:

Iridium LLC
Poland's A2 Motorway
Australia-Japan Cable
Chad Cameroon Pipeline
Airbus A3XX (the 380)
Nghe An Tate

All HBS cases. We also did a case that the teacher had done in real-life on building a dam. All told fairly interesting stuff.

5:06 AM  
Blogger k said...

Hi Jeff,

we have a mix of cases from various schools. The one I remember so far:

- BP Amoco pipeline
- SouthPort Mineral
- Ras Lafan

I would need to look in my binder to find the list of other cases but I'm feeling a bit lazy right now :)

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home